Subject: Re: "$cupsd is not set properly" (?)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/17/2002 01:23:18
On Thu, 16 May 2002 21:54:18 -0400 Bob Bernstein <bob@ruptured-duck.com>
wrote:

> I guess my understanding of rc.d in NetBSD is really really messed up.
> Since I saw no mention of cupsd in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, I couldn't
> imagine how putting it in /etc/rc.conf could have any effect. Silly me.
> <g>

PMJI, you've got company!  If I wasn't reading the list, I never would
have guessed that a *package* would be controlled by anything in rc.conf.

I re-read the man page for rc and rc.conf.  No mention of /usr/pkg/etc.
The rc.conf page expressly enumerates "the rc.conf variables that may be
set".  No mention of cupsd, of course.

What am I missing, please?  What is the interaction between rc.conf and
packages, and where can I read about it?  The thirst for knowledge, is she
never slaked?

Many humble thanks.

--jkl