Subject: Re: Emacs on NetBSD
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/15/2002 13:30:37
> > (Under X, at least on my i386, the ``windows'' keys act as Meta's.  Again,
> > I don't understand why the <Alt>'s aren't used---if I try to use an
 [...]
> Depends how you've set up your Xmodmap. You can make anything map to

I haven't set it.  It's however it was defined by default.

I should have peeked a bit more closely, though.  I rarely use <Alt>, so I
didn't think much about it.  I just realized (testing in an XTerm) that
<Alt> seems to be really gone.  I just assumed that it was something odd
about EMACS that was ignoring the <Alt> key.  It's interesting that the
text console seems to handle <Alt> normally, though EMACS still doesn't
use it as a <Meta>, even there.

Thanks for the information about Xmodmap.  Maybe I should sit down and
think hard about how I believe my keyboard should work.  (^&