Subject: Re: KDM still flashes back
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.ws>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/14/2002 07:12:41
On Tue, 14 May 2002, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:

> #! /bin/sh
> export KDEDIR=/usr/X11R6

Set your PATH here.

> exec ${KDEDIR}/bin/startkde $@

> ...and get the flash-back effect. And I go look in
> /root/.xsession-errors and I find...
>
> exec: xsm: not found

Your PATH is not set. This has happened to me. I wrote about it at
http://www.bsdtoday.com/2002/March/Features658.html :

 KDM didn't work. I made a kdm script from copying /etc/rc.d/xdm and
 added "kdm=YES" to my rc.conf. It would accept a username and
 password and then flash and then go back to a new KDM login. My
 .xsession-errors showed a bunch of X-related tools were "not
 found". So I searched the web and found several messages in French
 covering this issue. I don't know French, but that's okay: I fixed
 the problem by setting the PATH in .xsession (and made the same
 change to /etc/skel/xsession -- which I had also added "startkde"
 for when I added the new users).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/