Subject: Re: Emacs on NetBSD
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/14/2002 00:18:14
Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net> writes:
> I don't know if this is a NetBSD related thing or not but since I know
> other NetBSD users use Emacs, I'm going to ask.
>
> When using Emacs on NetBSD, which key serves as the META key?

Depends pretty strongly on what sort of keyboard you are using on what
sort of machine. Is this an Amiga? A PC? A Sun? And for each of those,
what keyboard are we talking about, and are you running under X or
not?

> According to the tutorial, it should be the "META or EDIT or ALT"
> key but on my standard PC keyboard, I just have ALT, which doesn't
> work. CTRL works fine. I know I can use ESC but I thought I would
> ask first.

If this is a PC, under X ALT might work, it probably won't work in an
xterm rather than emacs under X directly, and on the console it
depends on what flavor of console....

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com