Subject: Re: set mtu on rtk
To: Richard Rauch , Julien Rampon <jtb@diantre.net>
From: village idiot <village_ldi0t@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/13/2002 00:44:30
Richard,

you are probably right. Are you able to set it to all
sizes smaller than 1500? Maybe they have to be a
modulo of something? Earlier I think the sizes was
750?

And yes, you can not set it higher than max size. I
mostly use atm cards for my test purposes, and there I
can set MTU's to whatever I want under 9180.

I have done alot of testing to find out which MTU that
fits best, especially with tcp, udp, with or without
nodelay. I have found that some sizes are crap, and I
have tested alot of them. My guess is that this is due
to the fact that the IP packet does not fit very well
inside some frame sizes.

Sorry that I probably was mistaken regarding the MTU's
under ethernet. Does it improve latency and throughput
when you resized the MTU for your purposes?

Cheers!