Subject: Re: I should have reworded by DAT question...
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/09/2002 15:14:19
--- emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com> wrote:
> Andy R wrote:
> >
> > >From where I'm sitting, you don't want DLT.
>
> You should change your seat then ;-)
>
> > I support
> > a very tape intensive product, and DLT isn't up to
> it.
> > Never was.
>
> That exactly the opposite to my experience.
> They are simply rock solid.
> Yes, they are more expensive than the others, but at
> the moment
> you need your backup, you're glad you spent it ...
>
> > I'm not sure about DDS4, but it's probably
> > a viable option.
>
> DAT is a write only backup. Makes you feel good,
> until you need
> the tape.
>
> cheers

Yeah, after I wrote that I probably should have
deleted it. But I stand by my statement about DLT.
However, the application is probably different enough
that my comments don't apply here.

DDS is normally a workstation based backup. I've found
it to be reliable in this scenario. I use it about
once a week and verify tapes about once a month or so,
and they always restore fine. This is with a Seagate
drive.

The DLT failures I see are when the duty cycle is damn
near 100% like it is with my product. In this case,
you don't want DLT. You want STK, IBM, LTO, etc. For a
workstation, DLT probably fine and possibly overkill.
But it's always going to have the stigma of having
more write errors than the other stuff I deal with for
me... This is in the $5k to $20k per drive range
though...

Sorry about that guys.

Andy