Subject: Re: I should have reworded by DAT question...
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/09/2002 15:55:41
Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>  wrote:
 > When I asked about tape drives before I bought my DLT, everyone who had
 > a DLT loved them.  The one time I actually tried to restore a DDS backup tape
 > it failed, so I'm pretty leery of them.  I've done successful restores using
 > my DLT, so I feel pretty good about it.

Same here.  I have a dozen dead exabytes. I have no working exabytes. I
have 14 dead DAT's. I have no working DAT's.  I have 4 DLTs. I have 0
dead DLT's. I have 4 working DLT's. I have always been able to recover
data from my DLT's.

I started using Exabyte's in 1989 on our 100 node Apollo network and
they were always going south on us (literally).  I thought DDS was going
to be an improvement but it turned out to be a disaster.   Nothing has
worked as well as DLT.