Subject: Sound card
To: None <Netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <fabio.f@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/07/2002 12:10:22
Hello everybody,
7 months ago I read in the Internet that Debain-Linux is a half FreeBSD. So
I bought it, but after now 6 months I get highly frustated with FreeBSD, so
I'm searching for an alternative. I will choose between NetBSD or Debian. So
first I have some questions:
I have an ESS 1869 ISA PnP Sound card. In FreeBSD no one could say me how to
configure it, because the kernel device pcm & sbc for an ISA PnP (ESS)
doesn't work and the option PNPBIOS could not be found in my computer. But Windows
and Freebsd dmesg| grep pcm say that an ISA PnP sound card was found. But sh
MAKEDEV snd in FreeBSD failed and the /dev/dsp was not created. So I have no
sound. And Debian sais that in Linux you have to recompile the kernel too
and run the sound driver OSS and the tool isapnp. Why BSD-Unix doesn't need a
sound driver and isapnp tool like linux. Your NetBSD-guide sais teh ESS 1869
is a PCI sound card. Are You sure, is it really easy to configure it with only
the four PNP options in the kernel configuration? The second problem in
FreeBSD was, that i know with pkg_info|less i know what I have installed and with
pkg_info 'prgname' I get a little info about the Application. But how do I
know their starting command?
A GDI Printer was in Linux and Unix a problem, but now Debian have a link to
an Homepage, where a lxm3200-0.4.1-gs5.50-bin.tar.gz file for a windows
Lexmark 3200 printer is there for download. This must be compiled in gs 5.5. But
this is for Linux. Can I use this under NetBSD too?
Many Greetings from Berlin,
Fabio

http://www.gmx.net