Subject: Re: help!!!!
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/06/2002 16:56:23
Hi,

> On Mon, 6 May 2002, webmaster@datazap.net wrote:
>
> > I have been running thttpd and it is give me a large number of error
> > 500's. What makes the problem worst if that thttpd does not do error
> > logging, it uses the syslogd to do it for it, and I am not sure how to get
>
> So are you saying that the webserver sends the error 500 and the
> web browser displays it?

YES!!!

> What is this full 500 error message? (Maybe you have file access
> problems.)

The message is 500 internal error - There was an unusual problem
serving with the requested url.

> But the internal error problem is not logged?

NO!!!

> > syslogd to log the error messages properly. (I seem to get very strange
> > out put in the messages log, when I tried to set this up.)
>
> What strange logging?

It seems to only log some of the time or only some of the information, but
it never logs any error 500's.

> Does this have to do with your April posting about thttpd, error 500 and
> mmemory?

This is the same proble. I still haven't found any solutions to it.

> (Please consider using a subject line that describes the message.)

I will try this!

> I found several postings via google' newsgroups search that may help. For
> example, thttpd may report a 500 when it  gets an unrecognised Host:
> header in a request.

The problem that I have seems to some how be related to memory, or mmap().
At first I thought that it was the per process limit, but I raised the per
process limit in the kernel and this changed nothing. I also, thought
maybe it was a open file limit, but I changed that from 64 to 200, and it
changed nothing. I think that it is hitting so limit and that is what is
causing the problem, but without a good thttpd error log, I am really only
guessing at the problem.

Thanks,
Al