Subject: Re: LAN Cards?
To: , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <laine@laine.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/06/2002 15:09:29
"Joseph Bales" <atvar@eskimo.com> writes:

> I use the D-Link DFE-530TX+ network card.  It is based on the Realtek 8139
> chipset, but I have never had any problems using it with any BSD or Linux.
> They are cheap ($15US) and have worked very well for me.

If you live near a MicroCenter and don't mind dealing with rebates,
you can get a Belkin Realtek-based NIC for $1.99 after rebate. They're
reported to suck, but they are very small (about 2/4" tall) and very
cheap.

For Intels, www.centrix-intl.com has several Intel NICs for seemingly
decent prices. I think the cheapest one that actually says it uses an
8255x chip is $14 (beware, as some of the Intel cards they list seem
to not use the 8255x). I just bought a couple of the one they have
listed for $19 (I preferred it over the $14 card because it's a
smaller form facter, and I like the idea of non-restricted airflow ;-)