Subject: package questions
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rohan Nicholls <Rohan.Nicholls@informaat.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/06/2002 15:27:32
A question about packages:

I am used to using the debian packaging system, and am trying to get =
stuck in my head how the netbsd system is different, I am also new to =
*nix systems which I am sure is not helping at all.:)

With Netbsd, are you always downloading and installing from source? just =
with the packages the configuration has already been set up?  Does this =
also mean that there is very little difference between installing from =
source and installing the packages?

I am asking because with the debian system there seems to be quite a =
difference, and I am finding the different packaging systems a little =
confusing.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different =
systems, as I am not a c/c++ expert the concept of compiling fills me =
with slight dread, however I am up for anything at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Rohan