Subject: Re: Package Question
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2002 10:48:14
On Sat, 4 May 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 10:01:09AM -0400, jeffrey@jeffreyf.net wrote:
> > I am installing some packages and I have noticed that some of them have
> > nb-1 in the filename. What does the nb-1 mean?
>
> It's that there have been some changes to the original distfile.
> We need a way to know which local (netbsd) changes got in, so
> a nb-? is added to the package name (nb-1, nb-2, etc ...)

More precisely, it means the package changed in some significant way
*without* changing the distfile. Mostly, the version of the package
tracks the version of the distfile, but sometimes, we need to
distinguish among changes to a package that don't involve an
actual upgrade, in order for the dependencies to work correctly.

Frederick