Subject: Re: X11R6
To: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/01/2002 17:11:35
On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:36:26AM -0400, Matt Herzog wrote:
> Are any X11 modules, i.e. /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/ ever loaded into
> kernel space? If I remember correctly the answer is no. But I also
> know that some graphics chipsets enjoy better kernel support than
> others, i.e. acceleration. I suppose this could be accomplished
> without a LKM. Hmm. Now someone on #netbsd is saying that -all-
> AGP cards require LKM in 1.5.x NetBSD.

Not all AGP cards, only some of them (e.g. the i810 under certain conditions).
In the case of i810 kernel support is needed because the video chipset
doesn't have its own RAM, it uses part of the main RAM, so the kernel has to
allocate and map it.

The kernel support for other adapters is mostly related to acceleration,
but Xfree can run without them I believe.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>