Subject: Re: Question about ftp.netbsd.org and mirrors
To: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/29/2002 13:53:34
--- Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com> wrote:
> From: "Andy R" <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
> > I'd love to know what the hardware setup of it is,
> but
> > I think that would imply support of a particualar
> arch
> > and we wouldn't want to have that, would we!
>
> I can't really see that the arch would make much of
> a difference.  The
> secret to good download speeds is fast disks and
> fast network cards, the CPU
> just orchestrates the transfers.  I dare say any
> system that can support a
> hardware RAID card and multiple NICs should be able
> to do a good job.  Heck,
> even a 486/68040/21064 should be able to saturate a
> T-3 with a couple of
> 100Mb NICs!

Well, depending on how many people are logged in and
how you have the ftp server set up, that is...

Still, it would be neat to know what the hardware
setup is. How can you be a NetBSD person and not be a
hardware geek in some way? Hee hee. It would be cool
to find out that it's some Amiga or sparc5 or
something...

Speaking of archs, that freebsd ftp server that Walnut
Creek kept boasting about was only a single PIII Xeon
550. Not earth shattering, even then. But it moved
some data...

Andy