Subject: Re: X Terminals
To: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/27/2002 20:55:34
--KdquIMZPjGJQvRdI

hi,

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:30:26PM -0400, Matt Herzog wrote:
> I'm curious about why if I launch an rxvt with:
>=20
> /usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt -ls -bg black -fg green -cr blue -fn 10x20 -sr
>=20
> From a WindowMaker menu (or from the command line) and type:
>=20
> echo $TERM
>=20
> the shell says "xterm."
>=20
> Could this be because ksh can't really tell the difference between
> the two very closely related terms? This happened even when there was
> no "xterm" string in either my .kshrc or my .profile.

rxvt sets TERM to xterm by default unless you specify it either with -tn
option or in ~/.Xdefauts, or in your shell's configuration file.

src/rxvt.h:

  /* COLORTERM, TERM environment variables */
  #define COLORTERMENV    "rxvt"
  #ifdef XPM_BACKGROUND
  # define COLORTERMENVFULL COLORTERMENV "-xpm"
  #else
  # define COLORTERMENVFULL COLORTERMENV
  #endif
  #ifndef TERMENV
  # ifdef KANJI
  #  define TERMENV       "kterm"
  # else
  #  define TERMENV       "xterm"
  # endif
  #endif

rxvt(1)

    -tn termname
          This option specifies the name of the terminal type  to
          be  set in the TERM environment variable. This terminal
          type must exist in the termcap(5) database  and  should
          have li# and co# entries; resource termName.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
 --