Subject: Re: NetBSD Release/vi Questions
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/2002 06:36:12
from my previous message | and Robert Elz >

  | Where can I find documentation regarding nvi

> "man vi" on any NetBSD I suspect.

  | and how it differs from elvis or vim?

> Sorry, no idea on that one.   I don't know if anyone has produced
> a comparison.  nvi is pretty faithful to the original vi though, with
> just a few additions.

elvis is more improved than nvi from this description of nvi, though apparently
not as much as vim, considering vim installation takes about six times the disk
space required for elvis.  elvis has a lot of documentation in HTML files that
can be viewed from within elvis or from a web browser, much more than will fit
on a man page.  vim uses a different form of hypertext.

I suppose, if I want, I could download a Linux version of nvi, though not a DOS
version, and compile from source if I don't get a binary.

  | I can't get to NetBSD partition now,

> That makes it difficult.   I will send you the man page under seperate cover.

Didn't I say on the last message, I already downloaded vi man page from the web;
also downloaded man pages for ed, disklabel, wscons, mbrlabel, dosboot, boot and
some other things.  So I already have vi man page readable from DOS or Linux.

  | afraid I might try something I'm accustomed to in elvis and find it
  | ain't there in nvi.

> Quite possible.   I've never used elvis, so I can't comment on that one.

There are also some other vi clones or derivatives, including vile, which is an
awkward hybrid of vi and emacs, well named according to my first impressions.