Subject: Re: NetBSD Release/vi Questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/2002 18:56:33
In article <200204251241.g3PCfDRS049239@w3.bluegrass.net>,
Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net> wrote:
>Robert Elz wrote:
>
>> The NetBSD "vi" is "nvi", which is pretty close to the original.   Forget
>> "vim", that's rubbish ("improved" indeed!)

I agree with kre here.

nvi is a true vi clone. I.e. care has been taken to make it behave exactly
like historical vi.

for example consider:

    the dog and the cat

move over to g and type 'cft'; then type spaces, followed by backspaces.

vi/nvi will leave the right hand side of the line where it is, but vim
will scroll it to the left.

type '$', notice that traditional vi prints a $ nvi does not.

there are so many little differences here and there, i.e. where the
cursor ends up after certain operations, that make me stick with nvi
because my fingers are so wired with traditional vi.

christos