Subject: Re: NetBSD Release/vi Questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/2002 17:37:11
On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 11:12:10PM +1000, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:41:14 -0400 (EDT)
>     From:        "Thomas Mueller" <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
>
>   | Where can I find documentation regarding nvi
>
> "man vi" on any NetBSD I suspect.
>
>   | and how it differs from elvis or vim?
>
> Sorry, no idea on that one.   I don't know if anyone has produced
> a comparison.  nvi is pretty faithful to the original vi though, with
> just a few additions.

Some obvious things!

1) % treats < and > as brackets, so c% at the start of
	ptr->field[ ... ]
   no longer works

2) O doesn't immediately open space above the current line

3) The file is kept open - so the existing file is always
   re-written, rather than doing a creat()
   (affects files on layered filesystems)

4) The undo chain is a pain! I prefer the undo-redo scheme!
   If you undo too much - because it hasn't left insert mode
   on a load of cursor moves - another 'u' doesn't reset things.
   Also "1pu.u.u. doesn't work (ie step through the save buffers)

I haven't looked for differences though!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk