Subject: Re: NetBSD Release/vi Questions
To: Jeff Flowers , netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2002 18:45:53
--- Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net> wrote:
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there a simple, one file listing of everything
> that makes up a NetBSD
> release? You know, something like this:
>
> Program    Version
> -------    -------
> clear      10.2
> date       1.2
> sendmail   8.9
> vi         1.2
>
> and so on.
>
> /*Please note that these are made up version
> numbers!*/
>
> 2. Would someone be kind enough to answer a vi
> history question for me? I
> was under the impression that Bill Joy created vi at
> Berkley, and that it
> was part of BSD Unix. If this is so, then why isn't
> the vi included in the
> BSDs the "original" vi?
>
> (Sorry if I am horribly mistaken on this question
> but a coworker is telling
> me that the vi in the BSDs is probably Vim or some
> other vi clone. It was
> while trying to find this out that I decided to ask
> question one.)

I don't know of a list like you mention, but it would
indeed be pretty handy. But it would be one more thing
to maintain...

Check this file:
/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/README

Here's an excerpt:

This is the README for nex/nvi, a freely
redistributable replacement for
the ex/vi text editors originally distributed as part
of the Fourth
Berkeley Software Distribution (4BSD), by the
University of California,
Berkeley.

I wasn't aware that this is what I've been using. I
always thought that NetBSD was using vim. Doesn't
bother me, I'm not proficient enough in vi to know the
difference (even though it's my preferred editor).

Andy