Subject: Re: NetBSD Release/vi Questions
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2002 17:19:09
From: "Jeff Flowers" <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
> 2. Would someone be kind enough to answer a vi history question for me? I
> was under the impression that Bill Joy created vi at Berkley, and that it
> was part of BSD Unix. If this is so, then why isn't the vi included in the
> BSDs the "original" vi?

Don't know about the "why", but I can confirm that vi was included with the
4.2BSD release I installed back around 1982-ish.  I don't know if it was in
the 2.x series (for the PDP-11) or not.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say
that the later clones offered more functionality (e.g., split screens,
multi-level undo) so it made more sense to use one of those for the default
vi.