Subject: NetBSD Release/vi Questions
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2002 18:41:24
Questions:

1. Is there a simple, one file listing of everything that makes up a NetBSD
release? You know, something like this:

Program    Version
-------    -------
clear      10.2
date       1.2
sendmail   8.9
vi         1.2

and so on.

/*Please note that these are made up version numbers!*/

2. Would someone be kind enough to answer a vi history question for me? I
was under the impression that Bill Joy created vi at Berkley, and that it
was part of BSD Unix. If this is so, then why isn't the vi included in the
BSDs the "original" vi?

(Sorry if I am horribly mistaken on this question but a coworker is telling
me that the vi in the BSDs is probably Vim or some other vi clone. It was
while trying to find this out that I decided to ask question one.)

Thanks.

Jeff Flowers
jeffrey@jeffreyf.net