Subject: kernel options
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2002 14:23:37
Hi,

I have been having this same issue for some time and no one has been able
to help me. I think that I need to change something in the kernel to fix
the problem. From what others have said the server is running out of mapped
memory.

This the reason they gave me for using mapped memory:

"mmap() allows you to map file contents to memory so that
you can directly fetch it without using read();  avoiding read()
calls helps in reducing CPU usage because there are less
data copies (especially when same contents is being used by multiple
downloads)."

Also, from what I have been able to read, mapped memory is usally set to 1
or 4 gigs. However, mine is not. Although, it may be there is also some
kind of limit put on how many mapped pages it can have at once. Using top
to monitor it, Thttpd only uses about a 1/4 of the memory that I have on
the system before there is a problem.

Lastly, is there some way that I can check to see how much mapped memory
the server is using and what it limit is set at, and/or how many pages it
can have mapped at once?

Thanks,
Albert Zick
Al@datazap.net