Subject: Re: inquiry
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/2002 07:21:18
from Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>:

> If you're willing to run a release candidate of 1.5.3, then check your
> nearest NetBSD mirror site for a snapshot:

>    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/

> Then if you've got a reasonable Internet connection, I'd suggest
> downloading the boot floppy images and doing an FTP install. That way
> you wont waste time burning CD-ROM's that are quickly obsoleted by
> a proper 1.5.3 release.

What constitutes a "reasonable Internet connection", and what kind of Internet
connection would be supported by the very limited-function install kernel?  I
guess 56K (PPP) wouldn't qualify.  If I really want to download, I guess I'd
need a DOS-based or Linux-based scripted FTP and then install from hard disk
partition.  But first, I'd download the install and generic kernels just to see
if they (DOS)boot (my system is i386) before wasting time and bandwidth, or CD
purchase, on something that won't work.