Subject: None
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/2002 00:03:30
>Hello everybody!
>

>I've ran into a brick wall when installing a second NIC in my 386 box
>running NetBSD 1.5.2 and slightly modified GENERIC_TINY kernel.
>
>The short version is that whatever NIC is detected first during boot works
>OK but the other one doesn't seem to work, specifically it doesn't reply to
>ping or be able to ping others or even itself.
>papak# ifconfig -a
>ep0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        address: 00:a0:24:f1:ad:cf
>        media: Ethernet 10baseT
>        inet 10.0.1.99 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.1.255
>ep1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        address: 00:50:04:3f:f1:71
>        media: Ethernet 10baseT
>        inet 10.0.1.97 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.1.255
>
>Mitja Muzenic
You can't have two network interfaces on the same 'network.'  If you look at
You can't have two network interfaces on the same 'network.'  If you look at
whats listed above, you'll see that both nics are on the 10.0.1.0/24
network.  If you put the second one on a different network, they'll both
operate just fine.

Joshua Coombs