Subject: Re: Cannot use CD-ROM drive for installation--NetBSD 1.5
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Kurt Maxwell Weber <kmw@rowsw.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/12/2002 15:59:03
On Friday 12 April 2002 10:24 am, you wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Kurt Maxwell Weber wrote:
> > >
> > > How did you try?
> > >
> > > What messages did it return?
> >
> > In sysinstall, I changed the device name accordingly, and it said that
> > kern.tgz and base.tgz aren't in the proper path--so I checked, and both
> > packages ARE on the CD in the default path provided by sysinstall
> Okay, your original message didn't indicate sysinst or main installer.
> And you said "packages" which sysinst doesn't even support.

You know what I mean :)  My mistake, though...

> Your problem is with the base "sets".
>
> Again, how did you try? What path did you use?

Through sysinst, installing the sets.  The path was i386/binary/sets, which
is where the sets are located on the CD.

> Again, what messages did it return?

"<whatever device name I choose> does not contain the mandatory installation
sets kern.tgz and base.tgz.  Are you sure you've got the right directory?"

I choose "Ignore, continue anyway" just in case, and it then says:
"/mnt2/i386/binary/sets does not contain the mandatory installation sets
kern.tgz and base.tgz.  Are you sure you've got the right directory?"

> > > Look at the dmesg output to see what it says about it.
> > >
> > >  grep -i cd /var/run/dmesg.boot
> >
> > Already tried...dmesg isn't there.
>
> It seems like dmesg should be there. It is included on some (all?) boot
> floppies. You need to get to the shell and try it (/sbin/dmesg).
That's what I did...no dmesg or grep.
--
Kurt Weber
kmw@rowsw.com