Subject: bin/9975 redux?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/10/2002 06:41:43
I was trying to access a networked printer that only listens to port 9100.
(Some others around here supposedly only listen on that port, but in
practice also listen on the standard printer port.  But...this one printer
*only* likes 9100.)

bin/9975 from Andreas Gustafsson describes the problem, and supplied a fix
that was applied to then-current (1.4's -current from about 2 years ago).
The code seems broken again under 1.5.2.  Can someone try to see if it's
just me committing pilot-errors, or if it really is broken?

(The patch accompanying 9975 seems to still more or less be in common.c,
though ``portbuf'' got renamed to ``pbuf''...)

Also, tangentially: Can someone explain why the rm= capability can't take
a port specification with the same syntax as lp= uses?  Is printcap
sufficiently standardized and crusty that this couldn't be changed?

(In fact, if I specify lp= but *not* rm=, lpr doesn't seem to bother using
the network at all, as far as I can see.  If I specify both, then lpr
notices that I used an rm=, and so assumes that I want port 515/tcp rather
than the one that I asked for in lp=...)