Subject: Re: dynamically loadable nsdispatch callback functions (slightly OT)
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/2002 11:54:17
--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 07:32:34PM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
>=20
> Solaris (2.6) has a *few* programs in /sbin statically linked, a
> few more dynamically linked with /etc/lib/ld.so.1 as the linker
> and with -ldl (/etc/lib/libdl.so.1), and a few statically linked
> recovery tools in /usr/sbin/static.  This is not the best system
> for recovering from, and if /usr is a separate partition (the
> default Solaris install!, although I merge / and /usr on my Solaris
> installs) it can be rather difficult to recover the system if /usr
> gets hosed or /etc/vfstab or /etc/system gets out of whack (etc).

it's very unwise to have /usr as separate partition on Solaris. e.g.
fsck (which is needed when you need to perform manual fsck while in
single-user mode) is in /usr/sbin.  additionally /bin and /lib are just
symlinks to /usr/bin and /usr/lib.  i saw a lot of people changing
default root shell from statically linked /sbin/sh to some dynamically
linked shell located on /usr partition and thus they were unable even to
boot into single-user mode!

just my $.02 ;)

regards,

--=20