Subject: Re: Two X servers running simultaneously using wscons
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/2002 02:26:17
>> >Can anyone tell me why my prompt in
>> >xterms doesn't reflect the prompt in my .profile?  When I log in, I get
>> >a prompt like "jklowden@home.schemamania.org$", but every xterm starts
>> >off with "bash-2.04$ " until I issue ". .profile".
>>
>> the latest bash (2.05) doesn't seem to read .profile.  the easy
>> solution is to add ". .profile" to the bottom of your .bashrc.
>
>Thanks for the tip, Andrew.
>
>At the moment, I don't even have a .bashrc.  If I log in at the console or
>via ssh from another box, I get the expected prompt.  It's only the xterms
>that pick up the default bash prompt.  I would have thought I'm doing
>something silly in my .xinitrc or something that's goofing up the
>environment before X starts.  Or am I being dense?

oh...one more thing.  try xterm -ls instead of just plain xterm.  when
you login at the console or ssh in, you're logging in.  when you start
an xterm, you're not.  the -ls option tells the xterm to pretend it's
a login shell instead of a regular subshell.

>Just for giggles, I've attached a comparison of the two environments.

hmm...the SHLVL is different.  that might be a bit of it.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|