Subject: Re: Questions
To: Cavanaugh Family <cavanaugh@paradise.net.nz>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/08/2002 21:27:40
On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:18:12PM +1200, Cavanaugh Family wrote:
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) This might be a stupid question, but... Is the i386 port of NetBSD is
> the one for Intels and AMDs etc?

Yes

> 2) Before I buy a new computer to install and use BSD on properly I am
> playing around with it  so that I might be more familiar with it before I
> use it properly. So I have installed it on a compaq 486 with 12megs of ram
> and 340 megs of HDD. According to the install sheet I have, this is enough,
> but after the install, it wont boot up from the HDD. It gets to the point
> :"Biomask ... ... tty ... " every time and freezes, is this because of not
> enough memory or is it some deep and annoying conflict?

Maybe it doesn't have enouth memory. You installed the GENERIC kernel, rigth ?
You may want to try GENERIC_SMALL or GENERIC_TINY.
I think you can do this from sysinst with the menu "install additionnal sets".
If it's not possible this way just extract the .tgz by hand.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>