Subject: Re: Questions
To: Cavanaugh Family <cavanaugh@paradise.net.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/07/2002 21:10:23
On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Cavanaugh Family wrote:

> 1) This might be a stupid question, but... Is the i386 port of NetBSD is
> the one for Intels and AMDs etc?

Yes, that's correct.

> 2) Before I buy a new computer to install and use BSD on properly I am
> playing around with it  so that I might be more familiar with it before I
> use it properly. So I have installed it on a compaq 486 with 12megs of ram
> and 340 megs of HDD. According to the install sheet I have, this is enough,
> but after the install, it wont boot up from the HDD. It gets to the point
> :"Biomask ... ... tty ... " every time and freezes, is this because of not
> enough memory or is it some deep and annoying conflict?

It could be 12mb is not enough memory for the generic kernel. Try the
"tiny"  kernel -- the "boot-tiny"  floppy should install that one
automatically. That's supposed to work with 4mb, so 12mb should
certainly be enough. If that works, you could then make a custom
kernel, adding in whatever drivers you need that were missing from the
tiny kernel.

Frederick