Subject: sysinst trying to write to ramdisk, segfaults
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: jon <TYR124840@tyler.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/07/2002 03:09:28
Installing 1.5.2/x86  from bootable CD, everything works fine -- stuff gets
unpacked to ramdisk, filesystem setup goes off pretty well, package sets are
unpacked properly, devices are made... then, for some reason, before the
"additional configuration" something tries to write to the ramdisk and
sysinst segfaults, complaining about the filesystem (/) being full.

I'm not sure why it even wants to write back to the ramdisk, and I don't
know how to increase the size of it at bootup, if that's even possible.

Also, if anyone can explain to me why the numbers are computed weirdly
during partition/disklabel setup, I'd appreciate it. For example, I have an
existing MSDOS partition (partition 1) starting at sector 20482875 and
running roughly until the end of the disk. I create a NetBSD partition on
partition 0 starting at offset 0 (which should reserve track 1) and with
size -1 (which should run to the beginning of the next partition). But,
exiting the menu and looking at both, I see that the offset is 63, not 64,
and the end of partition 0 is on sector 20482875, which is the same as the
first sector of partition 1, instead of 20482874, like it should be.

Pls CC anything you might be able to offer to tyr124840@tyler.net as I'm not
on the mailing list.