Subject: Re: upgrade from 1.1
To: Stephen R. Ceasar <sceasar@thedenn.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/03/2002 08:44:10
On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Stephen R. Ceasar wrote:

> So I've managed to install v1.1 on an IBM thinkpad 340, w/ 120HD, 4RAM
> via floppies. Can I upgrade to current ver. or must I upgrade from ver
> to ver ie; 1.1_1.2_1.3_etc.?

You installed the old 1995 release of NetBSD?

You don't need to upgrade by each individual version since then. I would
guess that could take weeks :)

Does your Thinkpad have a serial connection?

Maybe you can use a recent boot disk (with sysinst customized to allow
sl(4)  to be one of the network device choices) and install over a serial
connection.

Do some searches on the netbsd mailing lists about low memory; I think 4MB
should be fine, but you may need to have a cleaned up kernel.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/