Subject: Re: number lock on boot
To: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@ReLink.NetWorkXXIII.Sytes.NET>
From: None <xs@kittenz.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/03/2002 00:28:41
on Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:58:33PM +0200, Mirko Thiesen wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Dave Huang wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, xs@kittenz.org wrote:
> > > wsconsctl -w ledstate=2
> >
> > That turns on the NumLock LED, but doesn't turn on the NumLock
> > functionality. I'm sorta curious about how to do this too; I looked
> > through the source briefly and didn't see any way to do it.

Oops. Bad me, I should have checked more (as usual).

> Just out of interest: Why would anybody want a function to turn on the
> NumLock LED without actually turning on the NumLock function? Simply
> because it's possible?

Well the LEDs can be abused for others things; like a covert channel
for sending morse code to the people outside your house in the ice cream
truck..or like options BLINK under sparc.

Would a WSKBDIO_{SET,GET}MODIFIER ioctl be useful? It should probably set
the relevant LEDs correctly. I couldn't see anything similar to this in
wsconsio.h.
Or WSKBDIO_SETLEDS could keep the modifiers up to date (ugh).