Subject: Re: Really annoying package situation
To: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@ReLink.NetWorkXXIII.Sytes.NET>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/01/2002 08:51:01
Mirko Thiesen wrote
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Tracy Nelson wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I recently did a sup.  I hadn't done this for a month or so.  When I tried
> > to make the new mozilla (0.9.9), I got build errors saying various packages
> > were installed, but newer versions were in pkgsrc.  Is there some command I
> > can use that will automatically rebuild any necessary packages?  Right now
> [...]
>
> How du you build your packages? Usually a "make update" should take care
> of newer packages that are needed in order to build the one(s) you
> actually want to install. In my experience this mechanism works really
> fine.

A word of caution: Whilst 'make update' does what is expected it also
may cause a lot of grief. It was yesterday that I wanted to upgrade
the x11/blt package in order to fix a problem that was highlighted
during a bulk build. blt required a newer version of tcl/tk than that
was installed on this system. With only a couple of other packages
depending on it I went ahead with the update. What I didn't know was
it also required a new version of libtool, a utility that many
packages depend on. I fell into this trap and it was to late to stop the
process by the time I've noticed the deinstallation of packages such as
kde, qt, kdevelop etc...

Not happy Jane!

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes