Subject: Default install stuff and hardening NetBSD
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2002 13:14:53
I have searched via Google, and perused a number of mailing list
messages, but I still have a couple of queries regarding NetBSD.

I have disabled inetd in my rc.conf, and the only things I have enabled
are ipnat, ipf and sshd. Now I want to remove all redundant users and
groups which are created by a default install. I have removed operator,
games, falken, ingres, and I am wondering which others are safe to
remove. I installed all the packages apart from the games one, as the
machine has to run as a basic workstation as well as a firewall. Not an
ideal combination, but it's the only machine I have which will connect
to a USB modem.

My other query is about some of the directories and a file created by
the default install. Why is there a .cshrc in the root directory? Is
this for emergency logins where roots home directory might be on another
(unmounted) partition? Finally, what are the stand and altroot
directories for?

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)