Subject: Ibm Thinkpads
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
From: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/2002 19:41:03
Recently i had the opportunity to configure NetBSD -current on two IBM
machines, the A22m, and the T23.
For the A22m :
1.0MHZ Intel P111 , 128MB ram, 20GB HD-removable, this is a nice feature
for OS changes.
video chip:Ati-Mobility-P , configurable in XFree86-3.3.6 standard 1.5.2
install with X will allow Xserver
to be configured, resolution is fixed at 1028x768 , 16bpp only. Intel
fxp0 internal ethernet runs in 1.5.2 no problems. Audio is crystal 4280
pci chip, xmms has problems but xanim works in short not all audio rates
are supported.USB works, tested with Olympus Umass camera D510. Cdrom
and floppy work. Internal modem-win modem does not work.
For the T23:
1.2MHZ Intel P111, 256MB ram, 48GB HD -removable. Video chip is S3
SuperSavage -support in XFree86-4.2.0, savage driver, 1500x1200 24bpp
display. if you get this machine e-mail me and i will send my XF86Config
file, xf86config has no selection for the 'savage' driver. Internal
wireless is Intersil Prism2.5 chip which is configurable as the wi0
driver and works in NetBSD-current, not tested in 1.5.2. Internal Intel
fxp0/VE chip use here in current or 1.5.2 gives fxp0 'timeout errors'.
Three usb ports all work, modem does not work(win modem).Audio is intel
ac97, 48000HZ only supported rate, limited audio, can use the usb audio
driver to play audio (mp3's) with inexpensive usb device such as the
iMic, i have configured mixerctl to allow cd's to play  Cdrom and floppy
are interchangeable both work.
-Mel