Subject: Re: VNC thru SSH via IPNAT?
To: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2002 07:25:16
--- Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I've got a local net of 3 WinNT's and one NetBSD in
> Detroit. The NetBSD has
> SSH and two IP's. I want to SSH from a Win98 in
> Kalamazoo to the NetBSD in
> Detroit so as to VNC from any of the 3 WinNT's to
> the Win98 in Kalamazoo.
>
> Will IPNAT do that for SSH the same as for PPP? It
> is only for the three
> machines to the one machine across all that lies
> between. I'm hoping to not
> have to learn routed or gated.
>
> Any clues?
>
> A picture is worth ten hundred words...see attached
> ipnat_diag.png

If you establish an ssh connection from your client to
your server with the appropriate ports forwarded, then
you can use whatever app to connect while that ssh
connection exists. It's been a while since I've done
it... Basically you set up the connection, then tell
the vncviewer to connect to a local port that is then
forwarded to the server machine. Unless you have big
cpu's and lots of bandwidth, expect bad performance.
Doing this accross a wan has been quite painful for
me.

Andy