Subject: Re: newbie text console config questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Light <rusmas@wp.pl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2002 14:16:03

		***Hello!***
Un dia lluvioso Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 06:39:35AM +0100
  Cuando las sombras cantaban sobre el amor puro
 A. Lucien Meyers escribio con passion:
,-------------------------------------------------------------,

| By "manual" assume you mean the "Guide". See nothing in the manpages or
| guide indicating settings of more than 80Cx50L possible. What have I
| missed? Don't see how I can get wscons to do a PC console, only sun and
| VT100 are listed. The VT100 function keys are not mapped like pc,
| e. g. try midnight commander. Does nbsd i386 grok framebuffer device,
| yes or not?
|
| Lucien
| --
`-------------------------end{quote}---------------------------`

	Exactly. Console configuration is one of steps which are,
in my opinion, described too short in manuals, and in .ps NetBSD guide.
Under Linux, there is the program called SVGATextMode, which can do
160x50 on some graphic cards, and frame buffer device highly
configurable.
	How to do it in NetBSD? Grepping in /sys, I've noticed, that
there are frame buffer devices on other platforms that i386. The command
apropos frame gives:
bash-2.05$ apropos frame
bwtwo (4) - Sun monochromatic frame buffer
cgeight (4) - Sun 24-bit color frame buffer
cgfour (4) - Sun 8-bit color frame buffer
cgfourteen (4) - Sun accelerated 8/24-bit color frame buffer
cgsix (4) - Sun accelerated 8-bit color frame buffer
cgthree (4) - Sun 8-bit color frame buffer
cgtwo (4) - Sun 8-bit VME bus color frame buffer
cgtwo (4) - Sun 8-bit color frame buffer
grf (4) - HP graphics frame buffer device interface
ik (4) - Ikonas frame buffer, graphics device interface
raid (4) - RAIDframe disk driver
raidctl (8) - configuration utility for the RAIDframe disk driver
softintr, softintr_establish, softintr_disestablish, softintr_schedule
(9) - machine-independent software interrupt framework
tcx (4) - Sun accelerated 8/24-bit color frame buffer
But in NetBSD 1.5.2 install these manuals are not present. (try to do
man xxx, where xxx is one of commands mentioned above).
	Please, if someone knows, how to configure i386 virtual
terminals to have more than 100 columns and more than 29 rows, help us ;)
	And, I think it would be good idea to write a big guide which
will describe virtual terminal posibilities and font configuration.
	Salutations to all NetBSD lovers,
	God bless You,
	light