Subject: Re: Off-Topic -- Modem Alert
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2002 06:14:24
On Tuesday 19 February 2002 06:12, you wrote:

> If connecting an analog modem to a digital phone line fries the modem, I
> wonder what happens if one uses a UPS that has a modem connection.  Then
> the modem is connected to the phone one way and to the UPS the other way,
> and the other UPS connector goes to the wall jack.  Would that save the
> modem, maybe fry the UPS? Or would the UPS be built of tougher stuff?

I am not sure. But as I understand it, the frying is due to excessive current
and UPS is ment to absorb excessive voltage. So one might fry and in so
doing, act as a fuse to protect the other.

Here is a little thoery of mine. The digital is maybe the same envelope as
the analog. But the analog is sinusoidal waveform while the digital is square
wave. The duty-cycle of square wave allows way, way more current to pass in
the same time frame?

It's a thoery...

Regards,

Gan

--

Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html