Subject: Re: recompiling libc on NetBSD 1.5.2
To: rusmas <rusmas@wp.pl>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/19/2002 20:30:45
On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:37:16PM +0100, rusmas wrote:
> 	Recently I tried to compile X-Windows 4.2.0 on NetBSD
> 1.5.2. Command make World outputed lots of errors with libXaw:
> undefined reference to wctype.h. When I've dowmloaded wctype.h
> and put it in /usr/include, other errors ocurred, refering
> to libc missing file, e.g.:
> .../../exports/lib/libXaw.so: undefined reference to `wcslen'
> .../../exports/lib/libXaw.so: undefined reference to `wcscpy'
> .../../exports/lib/libXaw.so: undefined reference to `wcsncpy'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1 (continuing)
> 	I've noticed, that my libc from standard installation hasn't
> lot of files included in netbsd-current packages.
> 	My questions are:
>
> 1. How to get libc sources?

From the system sources.

> 2. What is libc compilation procedure?

'make; make install' in src/lib/libc
But note that you can't upgrade your libc alone, you need at last a new kernel
and new includes. You'd better install a -current snapshot, or work on XFree
so that it doesn't need wctype in the first place (I suspect it's only a
compilation option)

> 3. What is the difference between glibc and libc in NetBSD?

glibc is hte GNU libc, used by most, if not all, linux distributions.
NetBSD has its own libc, derived from the 4.4BSD libc (as most of the
other parts of the base system)