Subject: Re: new installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: joerch <helix@mayn.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/19/2002 11:41:14
> I had some problems with the NetBSD installer causing
> the same problems with "overlapping" partitions. I
> ended up making the "slice" with FreeBSD's
> /stand/sysinstall program, then I went back and
> installed NetBSD into it. I didn't change the slice
> any, I only set the partition sizes within the slice
> and went from there. I dual boot with FreeBSD, but I
> haven't booted into FreeBSD in many months now. I
> remember reading that there was some kind of bug with
> the installer, but I never took it any further. I
> probably should have, but I found that the FreeBSD
> program for cutting up the disk had no such
> problems...
>
> Can't help you with mounting FreeBSD partitions, I've
> never done it.

i install only netbsd on this disk and while it does not
work, getting the whole disk parted in 2 slices, i will
first do a "primary slice" for the system and after
installation i do the 2. for the data.

but i am still like to know why i get this messages,
is it a bug or am i too dump ?

one time i got it working with my first try, but never
again.

to mkb:

i found something that may explain the dangerously
dedicated.

greg lehey wrote this in his book:

this term comes partially from superstition and partially
because some BIOSes expect to find a partition table on
the first secter of a disk, and they can not access the
disk if they do not find one.
if your BIOS has this bug, you will find this one out pretty
quickly when you try to boot.

so far, thanks for help, now i will install the system.

--
gruesse

joerg "joerch" buechner

http://www.home.mayn.de/helix