Subject: Re: new installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: joerch <helix@mayn.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/18/2002 23:33:55
> You need the following option in your kernel (1.5.x GENERIC
> does have this option enabled, so it should work with the generic
> kernel):
>
> options         COMPAT_386BSD_MBRPART # recognize old partition ID
>
> Then it'll just spit out a warning at boot but that was it.
>
> This option should only be useful if you're actually using the
> DOS-style partition table.  On disks without one (what FreeBSD
> calls "dangerously dedicated" -- what should be dangerous here
> eludes me) this isn't an issue.

building a new kernel is no problem, i always build a costum one after
installation.
i do not like big ones with a lot of things i do not need.

if dos-style partition table means that there are more than one
partition on the disk then it is ok.
if not, can you tell me how i can find out what kind of partition
table i have or what the difference is ?

i think danger.. dedi.. are only disks with one partion dedicated
to freebsd, but i do not know why it is called so, not now.
time for searching and reading.

--
gruesse

joerg "joerch" buechner