Subject: Re: Off-Topic -- Modem Alert
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2002 21:30:51
>Question to people who know:  What about an ordinary $10
>run-of-the-mill phone as canary in the PBX mine?  I'd think a phone
>would be 1) passive and 2) tolerant compared to a PC Card modem.  Plug
>it in, listen for tone; unplug quickly if you don't hear one?

A simple analog phone should work.  If you get dial tone you have an
analog line.  I carried a cheap analog phone with me for phone line
testing.  I don't recall ever trying it on a digital phone line
though.

>Gan, was that an RJ-11 jack, four wires?  I thought PBXes use RJ-45
>jacks, and I would have been burned, too.  Just curious.
>
>--jkl

I've seen digital lines using RJ-11.  That was at my previous
employer where the office I was at had digitial and analog lines.
--
Randy Beaudreault

"Spam in a can" - a description of the first astronauts

"Love is like solving the perfect murder.  It's good to be good,
but better to be lucky" - Det. Frank Pembleton
 From the show, "Homicide: Life On The Street"