Subject: VisualXML pkg -- Error on launch
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2002 08:56:43
Howdy,

David Forrai had kindly sent to me his brand new package: visxml. This is an
XML editor running on Java and Swing. I know a bit of Perl, but alas...no
Java. So I am stumped.

But at least I discovered why I got no errors on launch even though nothing
happened and that also ps confirmed that nothng xml-ish at all was happening:
the launch script sends all errors and stdout to /dev/null.

So, on a hunch, I thought it might be well to just comment out that part from
the end of the launch script, thus:

blah blah # > /dev/null 2>&1

...then I re-ran it, and got errors. Here are the errors:

gus# visxml
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
Could not create Java VM
gus#

Who can tell me what to do about this please?

Thanks,

Gan

PS -- FYI, here is the entire vixsml launch script:

#! /bin/sh
#
#  This script assumes that the Java classes and Swing classes are already
#  installed in CLASSPATH and that java is in the default executable path.
#
XCLASS=/usr/pkg/lib/java/visxml
XSHARE=/usr/pkg/share/visxml
#
#  Make sure java can find the Visual XML classes
#
CLASSES="${CLASSPATH}:${XCLASS}:${XCLASS}/fesi.jar:${XCLASS}/Proto-1.1.8.jar"
#
#  Since the author added support for French ...
#
if [ "x$1" = "x-french" ] || [ "x$1" = "x-francais" ] ; then
   XLANG=french
else
   XLANG=english
fi
#
#  This allows Visual XML to find the icons and images.
#
cd ${XSHARE}/${XLANG}/doc
#
#  Run it sending all stdout and stderr to NULL.
#
jre -classpath ${CLASSES} com.pierlou.proto.PMVisual
${XSHARE}/${XLANG}/visual.xml -ui metal > /dev/null 2>&1

--

Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html