Subject: Re: Help! - Stuck in "single user mode"
To: Beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2002 00:43:12
I'll answer this even though I bet someone else already answered it in an email
I haven't gotten to yet. It's 12:40 and I'm on my way to slumberland.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 05:22:47PM -0800, Beaker wrote:
> Thanks to all of you who (very!) promptly responded to my plea for help.
> Robert's suggestion more or less did the trick, though I still couldn't run
> vi as TERM wasn't set and 'set TERM=vt220' didn't seem to stifle vi's
> complaining (BTW 'export TERM' wasn't recognized as a command). I ended up
> doing 'ex /etc/rc.conf' and using '/ifconfig' and :s/xyz/xyz"/ to fix my
> blunder. I'll be sure to write this one down.

Use of ex: nice.

> Do you think that running wscons prevented the 'set TERM=vt220' from
> pacifying vi?

No, use of csh prevented the 'set TERM=vt220' from pacifying vi. More
specifically, the csh syntax is more like 'setenv TERM vt220'. And no,
there is no 'export' command in csh like in {,k,ba}sh.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper