Subject: [Fwd: maybe it's just the thinkpad...]
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/2002 19:07:26
--------------EED9147BADAE29D9F06F3107

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:05:48 +0000
From: "Sung N. Cho" <sucho2@vt.edu>
To: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>
Subject: Re: maybe it's just the thinkpad...

Marshall Rose wrote:

> > Hmmm....
> >
> > I have been using XFree86 4.2 since it came out and it's rock solid.  I've
> > tried both the binary packages from www.xfree86.org and now using the xsrc
> > version from NetBSD xsrc (version 4.2).  But then I recompiled everything with
> > XFree86 version 4.2.
>
> hi. thanks very much for the note. let me ask a couple of questions:
>
> first, what hardware are you running on? 4.2 was crashing fairly consistently (2 or 3 times a day), and while 4.1 has crashed once, it seems to be working lots better. this leads me to believe that there's a significant hardware difference between the two of us.
>
> second, how do i go about getting the "right" version of X from the netbsd install process? given my experiences with 4.2, i think i should be sticking with 4.1...
>
> sorry for the bother,
>
> /mtr

Hi,

My system is with following spec:

CPU:  Celeron 500Mhz
HDD: 4.8 G UDMA 33
Display: 15.1 TFT XGA
Graphics Adaptor:  ATI Rage LT Pro 8Meg
System RAM: 128M
Mouse:  Kensington USB Optical
PCMCIA Card: D-Link  DE-660
Sound Adaptor:  ESS Maestro 2e

I know I should include the output I get from "dmesg" but I don't know how to cut/paste from xterm to netscape mail.  I like XFree86 4.2 version very much so far.  It seems to be very stable for my system (if not better compared to the previous versions).  But
then, I have recompiled all my applications against XFree86 version 4.2.  I'm not using any of the precompiled binary packages from netbsd.org which were compiled against previous version of XFree86.  I've ran both KDE 2.2.2 and now running Window Maker with GNOME
applications and everything runs rock solid.  NetBSD OS I'm using is the -current.  1.5ZA.  I've also recompiled the whole NetBSD from source.

Here's my mk.conf file:

# Sung's mk.conf file

COPTS+= -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686
CXXFLAGS+= -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686
CFLAGS+= -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686

BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src
BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj
DESTDIR=/
RELEASEDIR=/home/netbsd/release
MKMAN=YES
MKOBJDIRS=YES
MKSHARE=YES

WRKOBJDIR=/usr/trash
DISTDIR?=/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles
PACKAGES?=/home/packages

USA_RESIDENT=YES
USE_RSAREF2=NO

So far everthing seems to run rock solid!

I've also tried the binary version from www.xfree86.org and it works well too.

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Saturday, Feb. 16, 2002.