Subject: Re: maybe it's just the thinkpad...
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/2002 20:08:41
> >now, here's a more generic question: let's say that i'd really like to do a
> >clean install of 1.5ZA (necessary for my thinkpad/orinoco) and 4.1.0
> >(necessary for my thinkpad).
> >
> >what is the best way of going about this? i can backup all my own files, so
> >i'd sort of like to do something like i did when i put 1.5.2 on the system
> >(boot from a floppy, do a net install, etc.)  unfortunately, that's where
> >i started two weeks ago.
>
> You could look in /usr/src/distrib/i386 (you'll have to unpack that source
> set if you don't have it already, of course); in there you could build
> a boot floppy and binary sets using your current sources; I think that
> sounds like what you want, right?  (I'd advise you to test the boot floppy
> before you blow everything away, of course :-) ).

thanks, but i need another level of detail, i think.

for example, it appears that XFree86 4.1.0 is less crashy-buggy than 4.2.0, but that's not what you get from the src/ area.

so, what i was looking for was some particular guidance in the form of: goto this url to get XYZ or give this argument to cvs to get the version of XFree86 that doesn't crash-a-lot...

but, maybe the thing to do is to just stick with what's more-or-less working now and wait for the next netbsd release...

thanks!

/mtr