Subject: Re: Help! - Stuck in "single user mode"
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/2002 17:22:47
> > I screwed up an /etc/rc.conf entry (left off a quotation mark on the
> > 'ifconfig_rtk0="~" entry) and rebooted and got a syntax error and a
request
> > for "Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:". I entered 'bin/csh' got
> > "#" prompt, but don't know how to fix rc.conf as I can't seem to run vi.
How
> > do I get out of this mess?!?
>
> mount -a
>
> Then you should be able to run vi and fix your problem.
>
> -- Robert

Thanks to all of you who (very!) promptly responded to my plea for help.
Robert's suggestion more or less did the trick, though I still couldn't run
vi as TERM wasn't set and 'set TERM=vt220' didn't seem to stifle vi's
complaining (BTW 'export TERM' wasn't recognized as a command). I ended up
doing 'ex /etc/rc.conf' and using '/ifconfig' and :s/xyz/xyz"/ to fix my
blunder. I'll be sure to write this one down.

Do you think that running wscons prevented the 'set TERM=vt220' from
pacifying vi?

Cheers,
Beaker - happy again in Medford, OR : )))