Subject: what's up with whois?
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/2002 02:31:26
Hi all,

I know this isn't really mostly a NetBSD question.

I registered a domain name last year and got to know "whois" in the
process.  Something's definitely afoot in the whois world, though,
because the NetBSD whois client used to return my name & address,
etc., and no longer does.  And the 1.4.2 whois is frequently more
helpful than the 1.5.2 one is.

My domain is schemamania.org.  Neither whois returns technical contact
information; you have to go to the registrar's site.

My friend's domain is equatejobs.com.  With 1.4.2, I see his contact
information; with 1.5.2 (using the RIPE server, of course), I don't.
I don't see anything on the whois man page to tell me how to get more
detailed output.

I'm guessing that registrars interact somehow and don't have to pass
all the information.  I guess if I really want it public, I have to
pick a friendlier registrar?  (I'm more puzzled than concerned.)

I'm hoping there's something I can do with the 1.5.2 whois to make it
at least as functional as the old one for IPv4 information.

If you know of an article that would help clue me in, I'd be much
obliged.

Thanks,

--jkl