Subject: Why /dev/lp?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Doctor Memory <tnelson158@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2002 15:11:31
Hi!  I'm trying to get printing to work on my i386 box.  I've got an HP
DeskJet 500 hooked up to the parallel port.  If I cat something to
/dev/lpt0, it prints, but whenever I try to print using lp(1), the print
job just sits there.

The strange thing is, it's using a strange printcap that doesn't exist
on my system (or so it seems).  Here's my printcap (irrelevant lines
deleted):

#       $NetBSD: printcap,v 1.6 2000/02/02 16:04:51 hubertf Exp $
#       from: @(#)printcap      8.1 (Berkeley) 6/9/93

#lp|local line printer:\
#       :lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

#Hewlett Packard DeskJet 500
lp|deskjet|hp500dj|Hewlett Packard DeskJet 500:\        #name
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\             # print device
    :sh:\                       # suppress header page
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet:\ # spool directory
    :lp=/var/log/deskjet.log:\   # log file
    :if=/usr/local/libexec/hpif:\ #input filter for text
    :mx#0:                       # no max file size

The odd thing is, when I try to print I get an error in
/var/log/lpd-errs saying that '/dev/lp' doesn't exist.  This is odd
because (a) my log file should be /var/log/deskjet.log and (b) the
device should be /dev/lpt0.  I've restarted the daemon several times,
and stopped and restarted the queue (using lpc(8)) several times.  It
seems to be reading the first entry, even through I've commented it out.

Is there something I have to do after I modify /etc/printcap to cause it
to be re-read, or is it shadowed somewhere?  I tried linking /dev/lp to
/dev/lpt0, but the output was garbled.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!  I know this is some fairly
obsolete hardware, but I'd like to get it working.

Cheers!
-- Tracy Nelson